Sunday, August 16, 2009

Local Lingo

Another rainy weekend in Juneau. What's new? We worked all day and then headed downtown for a quick dinner at the Hangar on the Wharf. I had Halibut and Fries with Malt Vinegar! And I ordered Rhubarb Crisp ala mode. Very yummy meal. We are back in the room "vegging" trying to catch up on television shows and the blog. I didn't bring a camera which I miss~ but it is okay~ as it has not stopped raining since we landed. Instead I will try to bore you with some of the local lingo and information I found in the travel guide.


The Channel: Gastineau Channel is body of water between Juneau and Douglas.
The Bridge: Only bridge crossing The Channel to Douglas.
The Road: The long road running north and south runs. Total distance about 40 miles along mountainous coastline.
Down South: Also known as the Lower 48- anywhere in the contiguous United States.
Alaska Standard Time: One hour behind Pacific Standard Time.
Alaska Time: Things will get done, unless the SUN is out or the fishing is good.
Amber: A type of Alaskan Ale. Be sure to have one at the Red Dog Saloon or at the Wharf.
Harrisburg: That was Juneau's name before it became Juneau.


I found lots of tidbits in this nightstand book. In fact, I am taking it with me and mailing it to my cousin, Vonnie. She better pack good rain gear - not an umbrella as it will make you stand out as a TOURIST. Hopefully this will be the rainy season and the SUN will shine the whole time their cruise ship is in. Sorry I can't make it down here to see them.

1 comment:

  1. This was fun reading Deb...great idea...I had forgotten that Juneau used to be Harrisburg...knew that before..and Alaskan Time! Thanks for the update on Juneau Lingo!

    ReplyDelete